Monday, August 2, 2010

Let It Snow


Click to enlarge


This week's JustRite Friday Challenge #029 is to work with this square sketch:


The JustRite blog states that this sketch will be perfect for their 2-inch square stamps, including some of their new Christmas collection stamps or monograms. But remember, you can always cut any shape of our stamps into a square to use with this sketch!
I love working on JustRite Challenges.  My first thought was to use one of the new 2-inch square stamps for this card but then decided to create my square using one of the new circle stamps.   I have been wanting to use this snowman from the JustRite "Groovy Snowman" set and decided he would be perfect for this sketch. You wouldn't know he really came from a round stamp set, would you!  He was stamped without the round border and colored with Copic markers, then cut out with a square Nestability. The band on his hat is "blue" but sure doesn't show up well in the photo!  The colors used on his scarf are Certain Celery, Not Quite Navy and More Mustard.   I cut a 3.25 inch piece of square card stock and punched around it with the Martha Stewart snowflake border punch to create my frame and matted it onto a piece of Not Quite Navy card stock.   This really made the snowflakes "pop".   Rhinestones were added in the center of each snowflake.

A strip of Not Quite Navy cs was embossed with the Cuttlebug and backed with a piece of More Mustard.  To create the border across the bottom, five Martha Stewart snowflakes were punched and lined up from one edge to the other. 

I needed to create my own greeting for the snowflake border.  I used the new JustRite clear stamp block and added the letters I wanted from the JustRite "15pt Times New Roman" font set.   I wanted to stamp "Let It Snow" on a very narrow piece of card stock to go across the top of my snowflakes.  It was so easy to stamp on the narrow strip with the clear stamp block, because you can see exactly where to line it up.  As you can see in the picture above,  I placed a little design, included in this font set, at each end of the greeting to separate the repeated saying.   I was thrilled at how easy it was to create the greeting I wanted on this narrow strip of card stock. 

I used very non-traditional colors on my card, because I get tired of always using red and green.  I am sure someone will love receiving this card next Christmas - how could you not LOVE that adorable snowman!

9 comments:

Betty Benton said...

Precious snowman -- terrific coloring. And I love all of those snowflakes!!

The Other Patti Sue said...

This is super cute! I agree with Betty this is one precious snowman!

craftieodmae said...

this is so grogeous! I love all the snowflakes and the way you arranged them!

Colleen said...

Selma,
Wonderful Christmas card. I may just have to try out my new set if I get a chance. The competition over there is pretty tuff though.

Mary Jo said...

Love this set of stamps. The snowflakes make you want to cool off on this hot summer day.

Marge said...

What a sweet snowman card!!!

Sheri said...

I love the non-traditional colors! So cute!

AKiteFlier said...

CONGRATS on your win with JR! COol - I have had NO time to play at all - hoping I can squeak out my JUGS project on time. WEdding was FABULOUS! MOre later.

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site selmasstampingcorner.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails