Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Joan's Gardens Weekly Challenge - A Recycled Box


This week we have a challenge at Joan's Gardens for you that I have been wanting to do for a long time.  I saved a "Laughing Cow" cheese container to recycle and my husband keeps seeing it in my craft room and teasing me that I am saving "trash".  Today I can finally show him what I did with that empty box.  Our challenge for you is to use a recycled box, preferably a round box, and make a pretty container.  We want you to use lace, pearls and flowers.  For all the challenge rules, please go over to Joan's Gardens Weekly Challenge for complete details and to see what the prize will be this week.


Here is is picture of the box I used and what I did with it.  


This is a picture of the items I used to cover the box.  I cut four Spellbinders largest Petite Scallop Circles; one for both top and bottom on the outside and one for top and bottom for the inside. I tore the label off the top of the box because the scalloped circle didn't quite cover all of it.  The large doily is the Cheery Lynn "Nautical Wheeler Doily" (DL180) to go over the lavender scallop on the top.  Four purple 3/8" strips of card stock were cut to go around the side of the lid and the side of the bottom of the box.  These pieces had to be pieced together since they were quite long enough to go around the box.  Two Cherry Lynn "Anastasia Border" (B136) were die cut.  They also needed to be pieced to go around the side of the lid. They were glued over the purple strip on the side of the lid. I used YES glue to attach all pieces.  In the center of the "Nautical Wheeler Doily" I black embossed the sentiment using the JustRite "Spring Words" stamp set.  

 This picture shows the narrow strip glued to the side of the bottom of the box.  You can see the purple through the "Anastasia Border" that was glued around the side of the lid.  One of the scalloped circles can be seen in the bottom of the box.  

The top of the box was decorated with some of my previously created roses plus miscellaneous leaves and Martha Stewart branches out of a box of saved "unused" die cut leaves.    I did discover a new way to create these roses and will be doing a tutorial in the future.    I love how realistic they look!  Magenta pearls were added to complete the box.  I plan to fill this box with some chocolates and give it to one of my neighbors at Easter time.

The products I used can be purchased from Joan's Gardens.  I hope you will be join us in creating a pretty box out of "trash". 

449609 


20 comments:

redwasher1 said...

Ha! I have one of those sitting on my desk too!! Perfect!! I can't wait to give this a try. Your box is beautiful and I love the flowers.

Glenda said...

Perfect! Love those boxes! I do nut tins a lot. Can't wait to play. Your box is gorgeous! Love your flowers!

Sheila - Ginger said...

Oh Selma your box is so beautiful and I had to have a little laugh at the orinal box as that the same make we have over here and I have one in the fridge right now.

Love Sheila xx

Diane said...

Very pretty...love those gorgeous roses, too!!

craftieodmae said...

you do such awesome work, this is gorgeous!!!!

Teresa said...

What sandwich did you use for this doily cut? I have the same dye and I can't get it to cut all the spots. Thanks

Donna said...

Stunning Selma! Beautiful flowers and the lace is great too!

Darlene said...

This is GORGEOUS Selma! Shame Mark quit eating that cow cheese ... I threw a ton of these containers away not that long ago! Uuugh!
Guess I'll have to check out the pantry to see what's available! Hmmmm! Thanks for inspiration!

Leanne ... said...

Oh so clever Selma. What a nice idea with that old box. Your flowers are BEAUTIFUL!
TFS...Blessings...from Leanne

phyllis e said...

Selma, I love the vibrant colors used for the flowers~stunning! Liked the recycling of 'already have' things~ Allows one less thing to buy & more $$$ for dies :+)

scrappingnana said...

This is gorgeous. Love the purple roses. Can't wait to see your tutorial on how you made them.

Memaw said...

Selma,
I can't wait for that totorial these roses are awesome. I have made a couple of the little boxes before-I save lots of this kind of trash (I love laughing cow cheese, and can't part with the boxes)-this will be fun to do again and using your idea. Thanks so much. Judy

The Other Patti Sue said...

Oh my Selma, you've outdone yourself on this one! Super pretty!

Anonymous said...

fantastic !!! simply briliant!!! thanks for sharing .
Amisha

Rita said...

What a fabulous piece of art selma. You would never know that it once was a cheese box. Hugs Rita xx

Colleen said...

Selma,
Very pretty box. That rich purple you used is beautiful.

Marie-Louise said...

This box is really beautiful.

Payne Holler Cards said...

just spent time strolling through your posts I missed this week...just such beauty over here!!!
I have some of these (well as soon as DH finishes them off LOL) and will be casing ya (-:
hugs
Linda

Olena said...

Perfect!!!! How is beautiful work!!! Great job! Selma, I have good new for you. I re-open my Etsy store i most of my card on sale now. You can visit my Blog for detail information. Thank you. Have a Wonderful Weekend! Olena

Edilza Teixeira Scrap e Artes said...

Oi Selma !!!

Fico impressionada com sua criatividade, sua harmonia em seus trabalhos.

Beijos

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails